Today is our second day of long period work. Every group now has a basic plan and is trying to see how much they can accomplish. It really seems that most all groups have tried to get the vocabulary out of the way. Each group needed to have about 25 words to define. Of the things each group had to do, ShrinkLits, historical background, literary terms, and character analysis, the vocabulary was what I felt was the easiest. I think the groups wanted to get at least one assignment out of the way quickly so they could feel accomplished. By now most groups have finished and defined all of their vocabulary and now they are trying to finish the ShrinkLits. My personal analysis of the ShrinkLits is that they take a lot of creativity and skill. I think that poetry by its self is a pretty hard thing to master. Combining that with a summary of a chapter in a complicated book makes a very tricky assignment. All of the groups are continuing to work diligently and today for most groups is just a work day. -- Steffen and Cameron
Picture
Hard at work.
 
Slowly but surely the project is moving along. We started the class period off by taking a test on nouns, adjectives, and verbs. We also met with our group. Presentation group made a list of who to invite to the presentation. Video and production are asking for people who need help in their groups. The web design is trying to determine a good format for the website. The project is really starting to take shape. We hope to soon vote on the format and look of the website and get the website up and running in the near future. -- Sanskar, Jonathan B., Anonymous
 
And so it begins; The very start of the almost two month long project for first period of Ms. Leach’s English class. Two weeks ago we started group activities to get to know our 4-5 person groups. These activities stressed how instead of compromising or voting our groups can come to a consensus and everybody gets their say. Then, after these little get-to-know-your-group activities, the project was introduced. As a class, we must make a website for the book To Kill a Mockingbird. The class is then divided up into smaller groups to find vocabulary words, make short summarizing poems, and specialize in other areas of the book. To help out these small groups there are also other groups that each kid has been put into. These groups include video production, web design, art, editing/presentation, and blogging (yours truly). Each of these groups have their own topics to specialize in. Today each group met and got their respective assignments. As I look around the room, I am surprised to see all the groups diligently working. Usually in a classroom, one would see plenty of goofing off, but this website project has everybody working very hard. There isn’t much else to say since everyone just started out today. The groups each have the vocabulary words they each want and none of the groups have the same words as another group. It’s actually pretty crazy. There are a total of 175 words up on our whiteboard right now and none of them are the same. Hopefully, this huge accomplishment is just the beginning for this amazing project. -- Steffen and Cameron
Picture
Almost 155 vocabulary words!